If you are having trouble sleeping and the chaos of the everyday news onslaught in this political climate is wearing you down, here are some practical tips that can help create more balance in your life.
- Unplug from social media. No seriously. Choose what you see and how you see it. Give it a try.
- Exercise. It releases endorphins that will make you feel more optimistic and will reduce anxiety.
- Listen to music. Add music to your home and office when possible. It sets the mood, lifts your spirits, and can become a great motivator. Currently on my playlist: Quiet by MILCK, Rise up by Andra Day, Holy War by Alicia Keys, Glory by Common & John Legend.
- Laugh. Watch a movie, attend a show, play a game. Give yourself permission to enjoy yourself. It is necessary for your well-being.
- Pray or meditate. Just feel what you feel…grief, anger, frustration, helplessness, and conviction. Pull from that place of compassion for others who are suffering. Then allow yourself to feel joy for the little and small things in your life. Do not let others’ ideas of spirituality separate you from your relationship with God.
- Get outside. Walk. Read on the porch. Play at the park. Fresh air and sunshine will be happiness to your soul.
- Gather with like-minded people. This is a big one. Find your people. Your huddle. Talk about what you can do. Attend events together. Be each other’s support system.
- Seek therapy. I guarantee you won’t be the first person your new therapist has met who is having post-election depression. You are not alone.
- Find something you love to do that allows you to lose track of time. You know how you can’t put that book down? Or while you are painting, party planning, volunteering, singing, binge watching Grey’s Anatomy, editing photos, or (insert your jam here) you forget about all your troubles for a while? That thing, whatever it is, do more of it.
It is important to take care of yourself so you can continue to fight for what you believe is right. Pace yourself. This is not a marathon, this is a movement. We’ve got this.
==========================================================================The views expressed on this blog are my own and not necessarily those of Greater CAN RISE NC.